Thursday, January 6, 2011

uprooting, growing, and rerooting.

I've found that I am much too easily uprooted. Quite often, without realizing it, I get ripped clean out of the dirt like those patches of grass I used to tear out of the grass fields in middle school. It really sneaks up on you and takes a toll for the worse.. Sometimes I find myself short-tempered, impatient, easily annoyed, petty, and it opens my eyes to how ugly my heart can get. It's as if the ugliness in my heart slowly rises to the surface as teeny things distract me from my goals and values, which is REALLY what scares me. It is things like that and times like those when I realize there is real danger I need to watch out for.
However, I am glad that things like this happen and bring the dark sides of me to the surface, so that I can do my personal "pruning" and really clean up my act.

Realization and discovery of a poor habit is the first step to reversing it...

So... it's about time I started to correct myself when I get impatient and annoyed, proud, or impudent. I need to remember the patience and selflessness God has with me whenever I fall short or even disappoint Him. It's amazing how through my worst moments, God is so patient and loving and caring with me and humbly waits on me hand and foot.


"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live your lives in him, rooted and built up in Him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness. See to it that no one takes you captive...through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the elemental spiritual forces of this world rather than on Christ. "
-Colossians2: 6-8



I know now that I need to "re-root" twice as deep before moving on and "venturing out there" so as to TRULY learn from the past, prepare for the future, and act based upon my true values, beliefs, inspiration. I believe the present is a never-ending learning experience, and everyone a teacher..


"If you are brave enough to leave behind everything familiar and comforting (which can be anything from your house to your bitter old resentments) and set out on a truth-seeking journey (either externally or internally), and if you are truly willing to regard everything that happens to you on that journey as a clue, and if you accept everyone you meet along the way as a teacher, and if you are prepared - most of all - to face (and forgive) some very difficult realities about yourself....then truth will not be withheld from you."
-Liz, Eat Pray Love

No comments: