Tuesday, March 26, 2013

trinity.

My identity is found in God.

From the Father, who is holy and just,

given to me by grace through Jesus Christ,

and lives in me through the Holy Spirit.

"You also were included in Christ, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation. Having believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God's possession - to the praise of his glory." Ephesians 1:13-14


I realize I pray a lot to the "Father", and end every prayer "in Jesus' name," but not very often do I address the Holy Spirit. In different times throughout Bible history, the 3 parts of the trinity are highlighted. For me, God the Father and God the Son are a little easier for me to grasp in my mind. At a very young age, "God the Father" simply made sense to me. Big God who was always there, created the world and everything was good. In fact, that was the only way I understood Him. As I grew a little more in my faith and learned about a God who would redeem me from my sins, I began to understand God as the Son. Loving God who came to be persecuted, sacrificed, who gave a perfect life so that our sins may be forgiven and our souls redeemed. That's when I heard and believed "the gospel." That's when I was saved.

but that Holy Spirit part...what a mind-boggle!

"And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever - the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you. I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. Before long, the world will not see me anymore, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live.." John 14:16-19

(^tell me Jesus is not the biggest troll known to mankind.)

Wha-?? No wonder it's so hard for me to grasp - I'm human! I live in a world where everything has to be tangible & understood in order to be real. To understand a "Spirit of truth" that lives in me, is stamped on me like a seal, and cannot be taken away from me without my permission? Of course it's not going to be something I can explain in human terms, or even fully understand with my little human mind.

However, I do believe it with my God-given soul.

The unspiritual man does not receive the gifts of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned. The spiritual man judges all things, but is himself to be judged by no one. "For who has known the mind of the Lord so as to instruct him?" But we have the mind of Christ.
 ^John Piper on "How the Spirit helps us understand"


What does the Holy Spirit mean to you?


No comments: